Monday, October 8, 2012

My First and Second Graders


My last class of every week is with a group of giggly, bright-eyed, good natured first and second graders.  Technically there's like 20-some kids I'm supposed to be working with, but most of them just run around the back of the room.  For the sake of my sanity, I resigned myself early on to just teaching the ones who wanted to learn.  And man, is it fun!  These girls are almost always a pick-me-up, no matter how tedious or frustrating my day has been.  I thought first and second grade would be the hardest, but when you just focus on the ones that are excited to learn, there's nothing but excitement and lots (and lots, and lots, and lots) of happy energy in the room. 

Today, among other things, I taught them how to make the fishy face. 
It was a riot!


My favorite part of class had to be right at the end of the hour.  I was explaining to them that this would be our last English class together (using my phone translator app, lots of hand gestures, and plenty of Konglish), when one of the girls asked to use my translator.  At first they were clarifying what I had said.  And they asked if I could stop by on my last day to pick up a card they were going to make for me.  The last thing one of the little girls translated is what you see on the left: "I love you, too."  So sweet!  They sure know how to turn a rough day around!  And then, of course, they found me at lunch time.  Gina and I spent some time outside on the school yard after finishing our lunch, and they swarmed us.  :)  One of the little rug rats and I are playing a hand game I taught them that I used to play in elementary school.  They like to play it as a reward when they finish their work early.



No comments:

Post a Comment