Friday, October 12, 2012

A Tour of My New Apartment

















Welcome to my new humble abode!  Whereas my last apartment was an officetel (it had an upper loft that separated the bed from the rest of the living area), this one is just a studio (a one room place).  Although this one is technically less extravagant  I already feel more comfortable here.  Part of it might be because I couldn't stand up straight in the loft at my old apartment.  Or maybe because there's more open floor space here.  Regardless, I feel quite content with it.   

 

My bathroom is MUCH more roomy than at my last place.  First of all, my sink and mirror aren't located inside my shower.  That's always a plus.  Second of all, I don't hit the ceiling when I try to blow dry my hair. Granted, there's not much of a divider to keep the rest of the bathroom dry when showering, but I brought my squeegee from my old place, so not to worry!  ;)  The only real downside to this set up is my shower head.  It seems to have lost the friction needed to keep it at a decent angle.  Until I get it fixed, I'll have to crouch directly under the nozzle.  For the last two mornings, I have tried to no avail to jerry-rig it with hair ties to keep it from angling straight down.


Also, I am eagerly awaiting a refrigerator.  As you can see, my refrigerator is located under my stove.  Well, maybe you can't see.  Because this is no ordinary fridge.  This is a kimchi fridge - dedicated soley to kimchi.  It looks to me like two drawers, but low and behold, it's cold inside those drawers!  There were four tubs arranged inside that were meant to hold kimchi, but I took out the top two so I'd have a place to put my own, western-style food.  Unfortunately, I had a bag of frozen blueberries that I am rapidly trying to down given that I won't have a freezer until my new fridge is installed.  I was informed that we would go to pick out my new mini fridge tomorrow.  So I will have two separate fridges - a kimchi fridge, and a mini fridge with a freezer.  I guess those two halves will make a whole.  The other foreign teacher at my school told me he found a make-shift way to make ice in one of the drawers, but I'm going to go ahead and opt for the actual freezer since I'm given the option.  

As for the rest of my kitchen, there's lots of cabinet space, and a washing machine that you can see off to the left.  Unfortunately, the school won't let me return the rice cooker, used bedding, or hordes of pots and pans that I don't need, so those are pretty much taking up any empty storage space I would have had.  Oh well, maybe that will keep me from gaining too many more possessions before packing up to go home! 



Here, you can see my lovely closet door.  The flower decals were already there, but I think they look nice, so I won't complain.  Especially since I have absolutely hardly any other decorations to put up at the moment.  As soon as I get my fridge, I will be able to magnet some pictures to it.  And once I get some tacks, I can put up my Thailand lanterns.  And as soon as I get some stronger tape, I can put up some pictures of Natalie's kids like I did at my old place.  But for now, the flower decals will have to do.  

Oh yeah, and did you notice all the awkward empty space on that whole section of my room?  Who would have thought a one room apartment could feel empty!  This school's contract didn't include providing a couch... so it's looking a little bare over there.  For now, I will take advantage of it by rolling my yoga mat out from time to time.  But the other foreign teacher said he'll be on the look out for free couches from me.  He said he comes across them fairly frequently and will see what he can do.

Last, but definitely not least, is my door.  It is completely decked out with The Little Prince.  There was actually more Little Prince decorations on one of the walls, but the landlord wallpapered over it before I moved in.  I'm kind of glad this wasn't taken down, though.  My friend Jaime had me read this short little book back in college, and it seems to be pretty popular over here.  I think it adds a bit of a philosophical touch to the room.  And it kind of makes me want to read the book again.

Ok, well, that's all for now.  I'll hopefully post an updated version of my crib once I have a fridge and some actual decorations up.  (And maybe even a couch!)

"It is the time that you have devoted to your rose that makes your rose important."  
The Little Prince




No comments:

Post a Comment