Monday, July 22, 2013

Gluten-Free Lunches and Dinners: Fish & Shrimp




Salmon (I think... I have yet to translate the label at the fish counter), glazed with honey, lemon juice, and chili powder.  To accompany it, a bed of greens, rice, and a mixture of cooked and glazed carrots, mushrooms, onions, and garlic.  YUM.  I've made it a few more times since then, but need to go back to the original recipe.  My latest attempt (last night) turned out a bit too sweet.



Here, Jeff is preparing a weekend feast of flounder. (??) (Again, we're not sure since we haven't translated the label.)  We enjoyed onions, tomatoes, garlic, salt, peppers, basil? rosemary? (I can't remember), and plenty of olive oil.  It was a bony fish, but eating it slowly and appreciating the taste didn't bother me one bit!  The crunchy skin was the best part!



We also attempted a pad thai dish, loosely following a recipe since we didn't have all of the standard ingredients.  What we used: rice noodles, shrimp, peanut butter, garlic, ginger, peanuts, pineapple, lemon juice, brown sugar, and...and... I can't remember.  It was a tasty dish, though more distantly related to pad thai than we intended.



This picture is of today's lunch: Shrimp, sauteed in garlic, olive oil, and pepper. Onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms all softened on the stove.  And brown rice.  A tantilizing smell wafted up to me when I took it out of the tupperware and reheated it in the teacher's microwave.  I'm stuffed and content.  :)




Last but not least, here is a snapshot of a small portion of rice noodles mixed with tuna.  I cannot eat mayonnaise, and I now realize wasabi is questionable.  This meal was before that realization, however, so the meal had quite a kick to it, given that I did not shy away when mixing in the wasabi paste.  It might look simple, but looks can be deceiving!  Now my tuna is always mixed with olive oil and various herbs.  Once back in America I will try wasabi again.  Being able to read ingredient lists will open up a few foods that I am afraid to try here for fear of hidden ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment