Monday, July 29, 2013

Getting Back on Track

In the process of discovering my possible gluten intolerance, blood tests showed that I am severely lacking in iron and vitamin B12.  Thankfully, I was able to find both of these in pill form that are guaranteed gluten-free on Iherb.com! 

I could see a huge improvement within the first three days of taking my B12 tablets.   As for the iron, I was less aware of it's benefit until I stopped taking it for about two weeks.  My legs got tired, my energy was drained, and my muscles were sore even though I hadn't worked out.  

I gladly take my B12 every day that I manage to remember it!  My iron pills, however, I am less inclined to take.  You see, as much as I need it, I can't help but feel that iron is a b****.  I suppose it's not the iron itself, but the pill that it comes in, as it is full of tummy-problem-inducing chemicals.  I bought the highest-quality, "gentlest" brand I could find, but nonetheless.  I'm not a huge fan.  

So... I am starting a little experiment with flax seed powder.  A friend of mine gave me her leftover flax seeds before leaving Korea, but for the life of me, I could not crush them up into a digestible powder.  I broke down about a week ago and bought it already in powder form, and decided to do away with the seeds that had been given to me.  As of yesterday, I have begun to slowly introduce it into my diet.  I'm determined to feel like a normal human, yet!

So far, I have sprinkled the powder onto my eggs, and mixed it into my morning yogurt.  It adds a wonderful nutty flavor.  And, personally, I think it would make for a good breading on a meat or fish dish.  Something I might have to experiment with!

My new and improved breakfast yogurt!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment