Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Universal Language

There seems to be two universal languages in this world. The first being a smile, and the second being math.  While it's not completely true - some ancient cultures (and possibly modern cultures that I'm unaware of) used bases other than ten - I believe that most humans have developed the same basic principals of mathematics.  This came to mind when I was at a Korean friend's house and came across this little book.  In English, it's Titled, The Number Devil.  It is a book meant to inspire curiosity about mathematics, and explains several different mathematical concepts in a story-like fashion meant to grab the attention of young readers.  I first read it in college while doing a math education project, and I must admit, I found it brilliant!  I was so excited to see it over here on this side of the world, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment