Thursday, May 9, 2013

Positive Perspectives and Housing Conditions


Bump #6)
It is highly dangerous to mix water and sources of electricity.  Hence, I was rather concerned when I noticed that my bathroom light fixture had exposed cords.  The one located inside my shower.  (Korean bathrooms are strange.)

Bump #7)
All the little things add up.  There were various other problems with my apartment - minor, but still.  (Burnt out lights in my ceiling that I couldn't reach to fix, outlet covers that repeatedly fell off the wall, the fact that I lost some important banking paperwork in the move, and the lack of internet access at my apartment.)

Bump #8)
It is true time and again that you pay for what you get.  In this case, my school paid for what I got.  And they didn't pay much.  Under the contract I signed, my school was supposed to provide me with certain housing items.  A couch, being on of them.  I didn't consider the strange folding contraption in my living room to be a couch, however, so I threw it away.  Thankfully my co-teacher sided with me and crossed it off the list of what my school provided me with.  

The second sub-par item was my desk.  My apartment is small, and I didn't want extra junk cluttering it up.  So the flimsy particle board desk didn't make the cut.  Unfortunately, my co-teacher didn't give me the okay on placing it on the curb.  We made a compromise though, and she let me bring it to the English office to at least free up some space in my little officetel.

Jeff, being the gentleman that he is, volunteered to help me bring it to school (about a twenty minute walk.)  I was fixing my hair in the bathroom when I heard something tumbling down my stairs, ending in a large thud.  Yep.  It was my desk.  When Jeff had picked up the desk, the side fell off.  Prompting the drawer to fall out.  Hence, he lost his grip and it all tumbled down my stairs.  As he nudged it all back together, the top fell off.  No idea how that happened.  I witnessed it in action (the top falling off), but I still don't get the physics of it.

So, yeah.  We carried it to school in three separate pieces and were met by a very surprised co-teacher at the front door.  I  borrowed a screwdriver from the maintenance man, reinforced my handiwork with a hot glue gun, and topped it all off with a little duct-taping action from my co-teacher. The desk now sits proudly in the front of our classroom and holds my flashcards and coffee cup while I teach.


No comments:

Post a Comment