Sunday, August 4, 2013

Kimbop (The New Gluten-Free PB&J ... or Not)


A Korean might get a bit ruffled that I call this kimbop, as it's not made with all of the traditional ingredients, but I'm going to call it kimbop, nonetheless.  In hopes of finding a gluten-free alternative to the convenience and deliciousness of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I've done some experimenting with this sushi-roll-type snack.  I made two different rolls.  The first a veggie mixture, which included carrots, cucumbers, scrambled eggs mixed with garlic, sesame leaves, sesame seed, kimchi, and salt, all rolled up in white rice and dried seaweed and brushed with sesame oil.  It was... ok.  I'll eat it again, but I certainly wouldn't brag about it.  It tasted fresh and a bit empty.  When I get kimbop at a local restaurant, I typically get the kind mixed with tuna fish (and in addition to the ingredients I used, there's usually a really crunchy radish stuck in the middle that gives it an extra boost of crispiness).  I didn't have any tuna fish or radishes handy this time, though I will make sure to include them in the next roll I make.  Roll number two (not pictured) was the same rice and seaweed wrapping around peanut butter and chopped up green apple slices.  It was good, but honestly, I think I'd still prefer just an apple and peanut butter. All in all, it was a good, creative attempt, but the end result was not what I was looking for.  The kimbop rolls take a bit of effort to put together in terms of prepping the veggies and such, so it's still no where near as convenient as your standard pb&j.  Also, they don't travel as well.  The seaweed gets a bit soggy while being toted around in your backpack on a hot, humid day.  But, I will try again.  It's an option, and hopefully with a little more experimentation, I will adjust the recipe enough, or find some other snack to pack, for those days with long train rides, or unknown food options at whatever destination I find myself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment