Friday, December 30, 2011

South Korea

So, I've been in South Korea for just over 3 months now and figured that maybe...just maybe... it's time to update my blog.  It's kind of overwhelming to try and capture all of the highlights of my experience so far, but I'll hit on at least a few key points to bring everything up to date.


I've looked through the documents on my computer, and came across a journal entry I made on the flight over here.  It reads as follows:


What I’ve Noticed So Far… (And what has been the theme the past three months here.)
...is that things have a way of magically working out.

A Few Examples:
A new computer, with a webcam and all the bells and whistles to make Skyping easier, showed up the day before I left for Korea.  (Thanks!)

Also, I forgot how to get to the employee parking lot of the Milwaukee Airport...where I was supposed to drop of my dad's car and catch my flight.  Literally within two minutes of needing to make a lane change decision, my dad called and confirmed the route.  (Keep in mind, this was at 3am... perfect timing!)

Then, the shuttle (that Dad didn’t even think was running that early in the morning) showed up right behind me after I parked, and asked if I wanted a ride.  I hadn't even gotten two parking spots from Dad’s car!

And I've had no delays with my flights, and no problems with security or anything so far.

Some Perks of Traveling with Asiana Air
The plane comes with accommodations!
  • Slippers
  • A warm wash cloth
  • Red wine
  • Water
  • My choice of a Western or Korean meal (The Western meal sold me when it came with chocolate cake.
  • And a second meal after that: spicy octopus…huh. (They ran out of the Western option by the time they got to me...I guess it's time to start eating like a Korean!)


From doing a little people-watching, I've concluded that they...well, at least the Korean people on my flight... are incredibly helpful.  In fact, they almost compete with each other to see who is more helpful and polite.  Example: A lady dropped her blanket and pillow in the airplane and the flight attendant rushed over to help her.  When the lady saw she was coming, she tried to rush to grab it herself.  Then the woman actually offered it to the flight attendant (just in case she wanted it?).

My only complaint right now, besides missing home like none other, and being incredibly tired…is that I wish my cup of water was bigger.  I’m rather dehydrated.  (It turns out that will be a complaint my entire time here...they have very small cups compared to America - and they only fill them halfway.)  If those are my biggest concerns, however, I think I’m doing ok.

Concluding Thoughts 
I keep going back and forth between a mixture of straight up fear and near panic about submerging myself in a culture so foreign, with a language I know nothing about…and excitement and almost laughter that I’ve put myself in such an adventuresome situation again.   Korea.  Who would have ever thought.  

(A quick side note: I had a four hour layover in the Chicago airport, and given the fact that I didn't sleep at all the night prior, I decided to take a nap.  When I fell asleep, I was in a completely empty terminal.  When I woke up, I was surrounded by about 50-100 people speaking very fast Korean.  I'm pretty sure I was the only foreigner about to board that flight.  Either way, it was an intense way to wake up and a fairly accurate segue into the next year of my life.  It was also a bit unsettling.)

With that being said, thank goodness for Skype!  Not the same, but being able to see my family will be fun.  And I can show them my apartment.  And I can see how everyone grows and changes.  Hopefully that will make Christmas away from home a bit easier.  I wonder how the plans with Jaime will work out.

As for now, I need to get some sleep.  I hope I don’t sleep through the meal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment